CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

MaryAnn's Animal Story

Wonderful MaryAnn at Soldiers' Angels Germany sent me this story after she received a box of stuffed animals from me.

**tissue warning**

Anyway, we're working away in our freight room when a Soldier came in - not a patient. Said he worked at the legal office next door and one of the Platoon Sergeants at Kleber MTD told him if anyone could help him, it was us.

He was looking for a wooden box for one of his family cats who had just died. A feral cat had come out of the woods and attacted his family pets. One of his cats took on the intruder, suffering injuries which resulted in severe infection and ultimately, cost this little feline hero her life.

He said his wife was devasted, and he looked pretty bad himself. They were on their way to the vet's to pick up their cat and he almost broke down when he said he refused to put her in a tupperware or carboard box. A bit self consciously, he said he hoped we didn't think it was silly. I pointed to Molly, the Red Cross dog working with us that day, and told him we were animal lovers and understood completely.

Unfortunately, we didn't have a wooden box. I just wanted to do something for him, so I asked if we could offer a little stuffed animal to bury with his beloved pet. He perked up a little and said that would be wonderful.

So I brought him into the other room where your box was and started looking through it. I found a little mouse and held it up, at which point this guy completely lost it and started sobbing. I gave him a hug, and the mouse, and he left, wiping his face on his t-shirt.
Made me cry. Made Jack Bauer cry too.