CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 26, 2007

Odd Moments to Remember

Once in great long while, I will do something that surprises me, like starting and purging here on this blog. Out on the walk today, I had a moment where I did something, a small thing, that I will remember forever. Right off hand, it is the second time I can recall this happening. I don't know what to call it.

The first time was at least 15 years. I was a 19-year-old college freshman. I worked in a sandwich shop on campus. A cute guy was at the counter. He seemed pleasant, but I wasn't flirting with him. I was just making him a sandwich. I wrapped it up. Raised it over the counter to hand it to him and I looked him in the face. He was looking at my hand, not the sandwich, and his lips parted ever so slightly and curled into a light smile. Wonder and awe. Surprise like he was realizing something him about himself as I handed him a sandwich with a certain twist in my wrist. Whatever I did may have been somewhat sensual, not sexual. But quintessentially feminine. He looked up at me with that same expression and a slight innocent smile across my lips. He turned and left. Off to enjoy his sandwich and the rest of his life.

A similar experience happened today. We were stopped at the one traffic light between Camp Toenges and the park waiting for the light to change. A small, light blue compact car pulled up on my left to turn right. The passenger, a middle-aged man wearing sunglasses, appeared to look at me and the doggies. I straightened my back, and as I slowly rolled my left shoulder back and down, I turned my head to the passenger. Slowly he began to smile with the same look that seemed to reflect more about himself than me, almost an appreciation of the moment. Before the car made the turn, a let the slightest smile creep across my face.

Now, in neither of these moments was I trying to be "sexy" or the object of attention. This afternoon I was just trying to stand up straight. Fifteen years ago I probably had a stiff wrist. It was just interesting to watch someone appreciate a moment where they realized something about themselves, whatever that something may have been.