CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 19, 2007

Park Pet Peeves

As I was out walking the doggies today, I was thinking about all those things that people do that really annoy me. Now I generally try not to be dwell on the negative, but some people just don't get it.

1. Stay to the right. I walk on a paved path that is used mostly by walkers and the occasional bicycle. There is no need to run on the left side of the path. Stay with the foot traffic. This is not the street. I will stand my ground. And so will the dogs.

2. Pay attention to your dogs. People always seem surprised when their dogs growls at my dogs or pulls to try to approach my dogs. I work off the assumption that your pooch is Cujo until proven otherwise.

3. Don't assume that my dogs like you. You don't know if my dogs like other dogs or kids. Don't let them approach me without asking first.

4. Pick up after yourself, your kids, and your dogs. I greatly dislike trash. And the park is no exception. I understand that it sometimes flies our of the trash cans, but if the trash cans are that full, take it with you. I also understand that sometimes dogs that normally don't "go" on their walks do and you are not prepared. It's happened to me. But that's why I now walk with a little bag just in case.

5. Keep your dogs on the leash. There are leash laws for a reason. Of course, your dog is well behaved and under your control at all times, even without a leash. But this one isn't about you. It is about those other people whose dogs aren't so well behaved and did not graduate summa cum laude from doggie college. Keep the leash on.

6. Smile and say hello to your fellow walkers. It is nice out. We are out to enjoy the day. A little eye contact and a smile and hello will actually make you feel better.

7. Slow down on the bikes. There is a road through my park and if you want to ride your bike fast, ride it on the road.

8. Slow down in the cars. The park is not meant to be a motor speedway; don't treat it like it is. The park is full of dogs and kids and adults who don't know how to look before they cross the street.

That's it. I feel much better now. :-)