CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 27, 2007

Friday Fun Fact

**language alert**

I love to curse. This does not mean that bad words are flowing out of my mouth just because I can use them. But a well-placed expletive can really drive home the message. My boss yesterday was saying that he got really upset in a meeting and said "fuck" in frustration at what he and our group were being asked to do. Me being ever the word consultant, I told him that since he doesn't say that much, the recipients should get the point that he was very upset.

IMHO, cursing is overused and inappropriately used, drawing away the power of the words. For example, in the first season of the Sopranos in the episode "College", there were two coked-out losers being asked to whack Tony. One of them smartly decides that is a bad idea, but she tells the the guy asking in a most peculiar way where to go: "Fuck you, fuck wad." It came off as ridiculous, which was probably the intention of the writers. But my point is that using a phrase like that in everyday setting is too much, and lessens the umph of the word.

I tried watching HBO's Deadwood once, and only once. Within the first 10 minutes, they had used "fuck" so many times, that the word had completely lost its meaning. What's the point? I found that so aggravating I couldn't watch any longer.

All that said, the grand f-word is my favorite word in all the English language. It is certainly one of most diverse words we have. It is used as a noun, a verb, an adjective, an adverb, a command, and probably everything else that I cannot think of at the moment. (I would give examples of each but that seems like overkill. You got the point.)

So there you go. An army wife cursing like a sailor.