CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 24, 2008

On becoming a Military Spouse: UPDATED

UPDATE at bottom.

I just got my first issue of Military Spouse Magazine. Review: not bad, actually. Looks like a good variety of material to get people started learning or updated on topics. At 66 pages, it is not comprehensive or in-depth. But I think it is going to be something I'm glad I spent money on. If nothing else, it is just one more way to feel connected to this community. And that is a good thing.

I subscribed figuring I need to learn more about what it means to be a military spouse. Yeah, yeah, I know what you all are saying. But really, outside of deployment and doing my best to support my husband, I don't know the first thing about the military or military life.

On top of that, Jack Bauer just told me that when he goes to school (which will be the first military experience for many if not most of the students), other spouses will probably look to me for answers on military life. Yikes!

So where is that Milspouse Handbook that I was supposed to have been issued? I might have to write it myself.

Chapter 1; Hurry Up and Wait. Seriously.
Chapter 2: Savoring Time with your Spouse.
Chapter 3: Don't Panic. You are really not alone.
Chapter 4: Acronyms 101. Probably needs to have a pull out card that can fit in the wallet and easily and discreetly referenced.
Chapter 5: The Big "D": Deployment
and on and on.

I am sure others have addressed these before. So if you know of someone who has prepared a simple, comprehensive, panicky-wife ready, funny, purse-sized version, please point me in the direction of it.

UPDATE 2/24/08 0732
A very nice reader e-mailed me a few suggestions and comments.

The Wows are my comments. I ordered the first one. I'll let you know what I think of it.