CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 2, 2007

A card to a butterfly husband

I have had this card for a while and was waiting for just the right moment to send it t0 Jack Bauer. Today is the right time. Obviously, this will come as no surprise to him when it gets there in 1-2 weeks, but I thought I would share it with you all.

The card is white, with a simple, handwritten style in black on the front. There is a square with a hole in the side. There are 11 butterflies, simple in drawing, of various sizes and colors inside the box. There is one butterfly leaving the box with trail behind him.

Across the top it reads: "The BUTTERFLY of FREEDOM."

The message below is as follows:

"Why do you fly outside the box?"

"I fly outside the box because I can."

"But we KNOW the box. We are SAFE inside the box."

"That, my friend, is why I leave it. For YOU may be SAFE . . .

. . . but I AM FREE!"


The card inside is blank, as are most of the card I get for Jack Bauer. Here's what I wrote:

Dear Jack,

This card reminded me of a quote I across long ago. It is even more true today for me than it was when I was 18.

"You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into
the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful.
What you'll discover will be yourself." ~ Alan Alda

May you fly free my little butterfly.

All my love,
Butterfly Wife


I've had that Alan Alda quote up on my monitor at work for quite some time, but I first ran across it in 1990. It resonated with me then and has been humming almost silently until the last 18 months. Today when I saw it, it was like I had seen it for the first time. That sense of wonderment and awe anew.