CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Coffee

I attended my first coffee last night. I drove with a couple of the other wives whose husbands are in the same course as Jack Bauer. On the way back to the Residence Inn, I was trying to say that it wasn't what I expected but I wasn't really sure what I was expecting. Oh, sure I read the entire chapter on socials in Today's Military Wife, but all that really told me was the success of the gathering depends on who is running it. I suppose that is true for most events.

So what was it? A gathering of spouses -- all women, all mothers -- whose husbands are teachers, administrators, directors, etc. of the school and the spouses whose husbands are attending the basic course. It looks like there are about 13 spouses here for all or part of the course; 4 of us attended the coffee. Basically, it was a social hour. We talked, we ate, we drank. And what I wasn't expecting, we laughed. A lot. The hostess, an Army wife for 25+ years, was hysterical.

The women were all very nice and very helpful, including one who was a tax preparer for H&R Block. All were a wealth of knowledge and experience.

I am glad I went.

Oh, and I didn't see anyone drinking coffee.