CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

My Dear Doggies

There are 2 things that have helped keep me sane: my dogs. They are 4 years old. Moo is a black labrador/rottweiler mix and Bear is a german shepard/husky mix. They are large dogs at 90+ and 70+ pounds respectively. The doggies have been the best companions a lost butterfly wife could have. In fact Moo is such a good girl that she is helping with this post right now. Good thing I am sitting in a chair and a half otherwise there might not be any room for me.

I used to get on JD for spoiling the doggies too much. He was always giving them treats, which was a major contributor to Moo's weight problem. When JD left Middleville, Moo weighed about 105 pounds. Then I took over and started walking her and cut back on the treats. Nine months later she was up to 112 pounds! Oops! So we started her on a diet. I cut way back on her food and started giving her vegetables. But of course, I couldn't give her just any vegetables. After trying a variety of different frozen delights, she now dines on frozen asparagus, broccoli, and edamame from Trader Joe's. She lost 5 pounds in the first month of the new diet. Now she is about 94 pounds. And with the weight loss came increase in energy and now she runs around like a puppy, which I will tell you about in another post.

Bear has a much higher metabolism. It must be a boy thing. He eats much more than Moo and never has a weight problem. Bear was recently ill with a mysterious doggie virus. He was vomiting and had diarrhea. Moo got it too but not nearly as bad as Bear. Bear got an IV and fluids and shots and shots and shots of antinausea med. $500 later . . . he still seemed to have some residual stomach irritation so I started him on a special diet of rice and cooked ground meat. Today, I made a special trip to Whole Foods just to get ground lamb for Bear. Good thing he liked it.

It is time for the doggies to go to bed. Yep, that would be the same bed I sleep in.

Um, that wasn't me who was all over JD for spoiling the doggies, was it?