CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Dandelions Are Out

On our walk today, I noticed that the dandelions are out in full force. Their airy blooms are just waiting for a gust to spread their whimsy. Until about a year ago, I never really thought much about dandelions. Then I read a book, with this little poem:

I have lost my smile,
but don't worry.
The dandelion has it.
The book continues on:
If you have lost your smile and yet are still capable of seeing that a dandelion is keeping it for you, the situation is not too bad. . . . You still have enough mindfulness to see that the smile is there. The dandelion is one member of your community of friends. It is there, quite faithful, keeping you smile for you.
I remember my dark days when a true smile from my soul was not possible. And now when I am having a bad day, and I don't feel like smiling, if I just think of the dandelion, it is not possible for me to so bleak. On good days, like today, when I see 100s of dandelions, my soul actually feels lighter. Oh what a gift. I thought I would share.

The book is Peace is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life by Thich Nhat Hanh. Here's the Amazon link. Seriously, this book transformed my life.