CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 27, 2007

Friday Fun Fact

Having worn glasses since 3rd grade, my vision was horrible and I was legally blind without corrective devices. So when I hit puberty about 10 minutes after getting glasses, it was a painful and insanely awkward childhood. When I was 12 I tried contacts, but I could never get over the whole sticking-the-finger-in-the-eye thing. My pediatric ophthalmologist told me that when I got older I might be a good candidate for corrective surgery, which at the time was radial keratotomy. As an undergrad, I did a research paper on RK. And I learned about a more promising corrective surgery on the horizon using the excimer laser. The laser was not approved for use in the US so I would have to wait, first for FDA approval and second for my vision to stabilize.

And after years and years of waiting, a few months back, I finally took the plunge I had LASIK. My "wow moment" was the next morning when I got up, stumbled to the bathroom, peeled off the plastic medical tape holding on the clear eye shields, and slowly looked in the mirror. I blinked a few times and saw something I had never seen before: Me, without glasses. I started to cry.

It was truly amazing.