CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 8, 2007

Easter in the Middle

JD and I were both raised in fairly secular Christian households. Easter for me as a child was about getting a new dress and shiny shoes and hunting for eggs and finding the big basket filed with candy. Then we ate hot cross buns. That's about the extent of the religiosity of Easter for me as a child: hot cross buns.

All my family was in SoCal so we might get together with the cousins or grandparents. Not a big "family" holiday by any means. Didn't appear to big a family holiday for any of my friends either. JD tells me his experiences were the same as a child outside SoCal.

When JD and I moved to the middle 8 years ago, we thought were encountering some especially whiny grad students who wanted an extension on a writing assignment because they planned to go home for the big family holiday of Easter. I don't remember whether additional time was granted, but I doubt it. But that was the first time I had ever heard of Easter being a family holiday.

Now living in Middleville, it is quite apparent how much of a family holiday it is for most people. Big parties like it were Christmas, worrying about what to take to friend's potluck, thoughts of exhaustion come Monday morning. Well . . . one things for sure. Me and doggies will be well rested after our weekend of vegetables and solitude (cuz there ain't nothing open except church, which I am skipping yet again this year).