CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Pilates Blunder

I have rearranged my exercise routine and now I am taking an intermediate Pilates mat class on Tuesdays. At the beginning of each class, my instructor Mari goes around and makes sure she knows everyone's name. There was a "new" woman in class and so Mari asked her a few questions, "got any injuries" and since it is an intermediate class, she asked about student's previous Pilates experience.

Student: "Well I took the 4 classes."

Mari: (with a sideways glance and looking confused) "4 classes?"

Student: "Yeah. The lady at the front desk said I was ready for this class. And she brought me here to this studio."

All students begin to look at each other and at Mari knowing that the lady at the front desk is not an instructor but an office manager of sorts.

Mari : (awkwardly) "Well. OK. This is an intermediate class, but OK."

Class goes on. New student keeps up pretty darn well actually. And then toward the end of class someone mentions something about reformer classes.

Student: "I guess I thought that was what I was going to be taking."

Room goes silent. I know that the Tuesday reformer class is a beginner class and this woman is sufficiently a beginner to not know what a reformer class is. Yikes! That's new.

Mari: (eyes wide) "Well, I guess this was a good submersion into Pilates."

That is quite a submersion seeing is I only moved into the intermediate class after 4-5 months of beginning classes 2-3 times a week, and this woman was over 50 and not overly fit. Kudos to her and her stamina, but Ouch! That might hurt in the morning.