CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What is Pilates?

Rhianna over a A Texan Abroad asked what is Pilates. It is a exercise system created by Joseph Pilates. Here is a link to the Wikipedia entry on Pilates. The gist of it is that you use your core muscles to strengthen and lengthen your body. It focuses on a few repetitions of difficult exercises, breathing plays a key role. In the 7+ months I have been doing this, I have greatly increased my flexibility. I have never been able to touch my toes, my hamstrings and/or back have always been to tight. And without having done any stretching I just stood up, and in running shoes, reached down and put all 10 fingers on the ground. After class I can put my hands flat on the ground.

That said, I better get going off to my Pilates Reformer class with Tracey, who I mentioned a couple days ago.