CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Endurance

Yesterday was a difficult day. I got up a little extra early after a few hours sleep so I could do some pesky day job work before I took Bear to the vet for surgery. So here we have little sleep, heavy workload, worrying about precious doggie. That's a lot for me under the best of circumstances. Throw in deployment, the fact that the arrival ceremony for the old unit was held yesterday, and still trying to adapt to changing routine and I was feeling a tad overwhelmed.

Perhaps it was because I was on the verge of tears all day. Perhaps it was the way the sky was ever still slightly lit after the sun had set, after the oranges and pinks had disappeared and the light blue blended with the approaching darkness. Perhaps it was the pride I feel in belonging to a community that is recognized for what it contributes. Perhaps it was all these identifiable things and so much more that I cannot express.

But as I drove back to the vet yesterday evening to pick up my precious Bear, as I turned a corner and saw the largest, longest flag proudly and perfectly dancing in the light breeze, I was struck. My jaw dropped open and the tears welled up at the sight of the grandness, the majesty of its movement. Its strength and endurance. The emotion of the day set in and I let it go.

As I drove back home still thinking of this vision, I thought, "I want to move with such enduring grace in this breeze."