CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 11, 2008

Horses not Zebras

I try not to talk too much here about how often Jack Bauer and I get to IM. I know it is more often than what others get.

Last night I was expecting him, but he never came online. I didn't stay up waiting just in case he had overslept or more likely he was having Internet problems.

"I suppose he could be dead, or seriously injured." These thoughts crossed my mind. But I couldn't dwell on them. They make me ill. So I let them keep on crossing on and out my mind. If it's happened, it's happened. And the dreaded knock on the door or phone call will come. Not a darn thing I can do about it.

And this actually seems to work for me. I slept great last night.

When I woke this morning, sure enough, there was an email from Jack, explaining that the Internet wasn't working in his room. This situation reminds of a medical diagnosing saying, which I'm going to butcher, "when you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras." I could have easily gone looking for the rare and worse case scenario--the cancer, the death--rather than the most likely explanation for Jack's absence--a simple headache. And the most likely scenario turned to be the case.

**NOTE TO SELF**
Read this post whenever thoughts go crazy. Differentiate between what could happen and what most likely did happen.