CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 26, 2008

I'm getting old

My birthday isn't for a few months, but today, I am feeling old.

I was listening to NPR while running errands today, and I heard the cracking voice of an older woman talking about electronic voting machines. She meant to say "touch screen" but instead she said "touch tone." And that got me thinking.

Touch tone. When was the last time you heard anyone mention a rotary phone? Would anyone born after 1980 have any idea how to use one? I had a phone in my room growing up. It was a heavy, black rotary and it was not plugged into anything. But I remember how heavy it was, and assuming I could pick it up and swing it, it would have been broken bones for whoever came in contact with it.

Man, those were the days. Sitting on bed in my sun-filled yellow room with the orange carpet, dialing, literally, no one and talking for hours with out a care in the world. Or at least that's how it seems now.